Ann Thorac Surg 1995;60:S529-S532
© 1995 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Aprotinin in children undergoing repair of congenital heart defects
MD Patricia A. Penkoske*,
MD Lucy M. Entwistle,
MD B. Elaine Marchak,
MD Robert F. Seal,
CPC William Gibb
Departments of Surgery and Anaesthesia, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
* Address reprint requests to Dr Penkoske, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Rm 2D2.09 WMC, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2R7.
Background: Aprotinin use in adults is increasing, and its use in children has recently been reported.
Methods: The efficacy of aprotinin in children was tested in 80 children. Patients were in four groups: reoperations (59), neonates (8), extremely cyanotic children (6), and other complex repairs (7). The results were compared with those of 55 control infants and children: reoperations (25), neonates (10), cyanotic (10) and complex (10). Treatment groups were identical in age, sex ratio, cross-clamp time, and bypass time.
Results: Patients treated with aprotinin had a significant reduction in chest tube drainage (16.5 ± 9.8 versus 33.4 ± 22.1 mL · kg–1 · h–1; p < 0.001) and time to skin closure (64.2 ± 23.7 versus 80.1 ± 24.6 minutes; p < 0.001). Transfusion requirements were decreased in aprotinin-treated patients (4.2 ± 3.4 versus 6.7 ± 5.2 donors; p < 0.001). All of the control patients were exposed to at least one donor, whereas 10/80 (12.5%) of the aprotinin-treated group had no blood use (p < 0.006). There were no cases of renal insufficiency or allergic reactions in children receiving aprotinin. Three patients had thrombotic episodes: 2 superior vena caval problems and a lower extremity deep venous thrombosis. There were 3 cases of mediastinitis in the aprotinin group versus none in control patients (p < 0.05).
Conclusions: We conclude aprotinin is an effective means of reducing bleeding, operating time, and donor exposure in infants and children. An increased rate of thrombosis and possibly mediastinitis are potential problems.
- Manno CS, Hedberg KW, Kim HC, et al. Comparison of the hemostatic effects of fresh whole blood stored whole blood and components after open heart surgery in children Blood 1991;77:930-936.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Kern FH, Morana NJ, Sears JJ, Hickey PR. Coagulation defects in neonates during cardiopulmonary bypass Ann Thorac Surg 1992;54:541-546.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Michelson AD. Manipulation of haemostasis during pediatric cardiopulmonary bypassIn: Jones RA, Elliott MA, editors. Cardiopulmonary bypass in neonates, infants and young children. Oxford: Butterworth, Heinemann; 1995. pp. 110-123.
- Kirklin JR, Westaby S, Blackstone EH, Kirklin JW, Che-noweth DE, Pacifico AD. Complement and the damaging effects of cardiopulmonary bypass J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1983;86:845-857.[Abstract]
- Herynkopf F, Lucchese F, Pereira E, Kalil R, Prates P, Nesralla IA. Aprotinin in children undergoing correction of congenital defects J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1994;108:517-521.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- (Suppl)Elliott MJ, Allen A. Aprotinin in pediatric cardiac surgery Perfusion 1990;5:73-76.[Free Full Text]
- Bidstrup BP, Harrison J, Royston D, Taylor RM, Treasure T. Aprotinin therapy in cardiac operations: a report on use in 41 cardiac centres in the United Kingdom Ann Thorac Surg 1993;55:971-976.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Bohrer J, Bach A, Fleischer F. Adverse haemodynamic effects of high dose aprotinin in a pediatric cardiac surgical patient Anaesthesia 1990;45:853-854.[Medline]
- Gurevitch J, Barak J, Hochhauser E, Paz V, Yakirench V. Aprotinin improves myocardial recovery after ischemia and reperfusion J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1994;108:109-118.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Aoki M, Jonas RA, Namura F, et al. Effect of aprotinin on acute recovery of cerebral metabolism in piglets after hypo-thermic circulatory arrest Ann Thorac Surg 1994;58:146-153.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Royston D. Aprotinin therapy in heart and heart lung transplantation J Heart Lung Transplant 1993;12:S19-S21.[Medline]
- Jaquiss RDB, Huddleston CB, Spray TL. Use of aprotinin in pediatric lung transplantation J Heart Lung Transplant 1995;14:302-307.[Medline]
- Tatar H, Sertae C, Demirkilic U, et al. Topical use of aprotinin in open heart operations Ann Thorac Surg 1993;55:659-661.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
This article has been cited by other articles:
R. Singh, M. Vellaichamy, N. Gowda, V. Kumar, S. K. Banakal, J. Colin, and M. Kanchi
Aprotinin for Open Cardiac Surgery in Cyanotic Heart Disease
Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals,
June 1, 2001;
101 - 104.