Ann Thorac Surg 1995;60:462-463
© 1995 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Organized thrombus in left main coronary artery in hypoplastic left heart syndrome
MD, PhD Jacques A.M. van Son*,
MD Michael D. Black,
MD Kim Devoe,
MD Gary S. Haas
Divisions of Cardiothoracic Surgeo, and Anatomic Pathology, University, of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Accepted for publication January 30, 1995.
* Address reprint requests to Dr van Son, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143-0118.
A neonate is reported in whom, during Norwood stage I correction for hypoplastic left heart syndrome with mitral stenosis, an organized thrombus was found to protrude from the left coronary ostium into the aortic root. With ventricular assist device support the patient survived despite severe left ventricular ischemia. The presumed origin of the thrombus is from left ventriculocoronary arterial connections that serve to decompress the blind left ventricular cavity.
- Sinha SN, Rusnak SL, Sommers HM, Cole RB, Muster AJ, Paul MH. Hypoplastic left ventricle syndrome Analysis of thirty autopsy cases in infants with surgical considerations Am J Cardiol 1968;21:166-173.[Medline]
- Roberts WC, Perry LW, Chandra RS, Myers GE, Shapiro SR, Scott LP. Aortic valve atresia: a new classification based on necropsy study of 73 cases Am J Cardiol 1976;37:753-756.[Medline]
- Murdison KA, Baffa JM, Farrell Jr PE, et al. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Outcome after initial reconstruction and before modified Fontan procedure Circulation 1990;82(Suppl 4):199-207.
- Chang AC, Farrell Jr PE, Murdison KA, et al. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: hemodynamic and angiographic assessment after initial reconstructive surgery and relevance to modified Fontan procedure J Am Coll Cardiol 1991;17:1143-1149.[Medline]
- Gittenberger-de Groot AC, Sauer U, Bindl L, Babic R, Essed CE, Bühlmeyer K. Competition of coronary arteries and ventriculo-coronary arterial communications in pulmonary atresia with intact ventricular septum Int J Cardiol 1988;18:243-258.[Medline]
- O'Connor WN, Cash JB, Cottrill CM, Johnson GL, Noonan JA. Ventriculocoronary connections in hypoplastic left hearts: an autopsy microscopic study Circulation 1982;66:1078-1086.[Free Full Text]
- Beckman CB, Moiler JH, Edwards JE. Alternate pathways to pulmonary venous flow in left-sided obstructive anomalies Circulation 1975;52:509-516.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Bulkley BH, D'Amico B, Taylor AL. Extensive myocardial fiber disarray in aortic and pulmonary atresia Relevance to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy Circulation 1983;67:191-198.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
This article has been cited by other articles:
T. V. Brennan, M. D. Rodefeld, T. A. Tacy, V. M. Reddy, and F. L. Hanley
Late thrombosis of the native aortic root after Norwood reconstruction for hypoplastic left heart syndrome
J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg.,
March 1, 2001;
580 - 582.