Ann Thorac Surg 1993;55:1197-1201
© 1993 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Massive thymic hyperplasia
Anthony G. Linegar, MB, ChB*,a,b,
John A. Odell, FRCS(Edin)a,b,
W.M. Pitt Fennell, FRCS(Eng)a,b,
Pauline M. Close, MRCPatha,b,
Mark K. De Groot, FRCS(C)a,b,
Dennis R. Casserly, ChMa,b,
Joss I. Perold, MMed(Path)a,b
a Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Department of Pathology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town South Africa
b Frere Hospital, East London, South Africa
Accepted for publication September 1, 1992.
* Address reprint requests to Dr Linegar, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Cape Town, Medical School, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, Republic of South Africa.
Massive thymic hyperplasia is an extremely rare form of true thymic hyperplasia most often described in infants and children. Hyperplasia of this order is not known to occur in any other organ, and its etiology and prognostic significance remain unknown. As there is no accurate way of preoperatively differentiating massive thymic hyperplasia from other tumors of the thymus and anterior mediastinum, we advise excision in all cases for histological analysis and relief of mediastinal compression. This description of 4 cases updates the 30 previously reported cases, and includes a literature review.
- Levine GD, Rosai J. Thymic hyperplasia and neoplasia: a review of current concepts Hum Pathol 1978;9:495-515.[Medline]
- Ruco LP, Rosati S, Palmieri B, Pescarmona E, Rendina EA, Baroni CD. True thymic hyperplasia: a histological and immunohistochemical study Histopathology 1989;15:640-643.[Medline]
- Nezelof C, Normand C. Tumor-like massive thymic hyperplasia in childhood: a possible defect of T-cell maturation, histological and cytoenzymatic studies in three cases Thymus 1986;8:177-186.[Medline]
- Kook Sang OH, Weber AL, Borden S. Normal mediastinal mass in late childhood Pediatr Radiol 1971;101:625-628.
- Parker LA, Gaisie G, Scatliff H. Computerized tomography and ultra-sonographic findings in massive thymic hyperplasia. Case report and review of current concepts Clin Pediatr 1985;24:90-94.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Barcia PJ, Nelson TG. Hyperplasia of the thymus and thymic neoplasms in children Milit Med 1979;144:799-801.
- Rasore-Quartino A, Rebizzo F, Romagnoli G. Iperplasia gigante del timo nell'infanzia Pathologica 1979;71:711-715.[Medline]
- Katz SM, Chatten J, Bishop HC, Rosemblum H. Massive thymic enlargement. Report of a case of gross thymic hyperplasia in a child Am J Clin Pathol 1977;68:786-790.[Medline]
- O'Shea PA, Boonchain P, Farnes P. Giant thymic hyperplasia in infancy: immunologic, histologic, and ultrastructural observations Lab Invest 1978;38:391.
- Lee Y, Moallem S, Clauss RH. Massive hyperplastic thymus in a 22-month-old infant Ann Thorac Surg 1979;27:356-358.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Lack EE. Thymic hyperplasia with massive enlargement J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1981;81:741-746.[Abstract]
- Lamesch AJ. Massive thymic hyperplasia in infants Z Kinderchir 1983;38:16-18.[Medline]
- Balcolm RJ, Hakanson D, Werner A, Gordon P. Massive thymic hyperplasia in an infant with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome Arch Pathol Lab Med 1985;109:153-155.[Medline]
- Judd RL. Massive thymic hyperplasia with myoid cell differentiation Hum Pathol 1987;18:1180-1181.[Medline]
- Kobayashi T, Hirabayashi Y, Kobayashi Y. Diagnostic value of plain chest roentgenogram and CT scan findings in four cases of massive thymic hyperplasia Pediatr Radiol 1986;16:452-455.[Medline]
- Arliss J, Scholes J, Dickson P, Messina J. Massive thymic hyperplasia in an adolescent Ann Thorac Surg 1988;45:220-222.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Mackie AM, Watson CB. Anaesthesia and mediastinal masses. A case report and review of literature Anaesthesia 1984;39:899-903.[Medline]
- Yune HY, Klatte EC. Thymic venography Radiology 1970;96:521-526.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Boyd E. Weight of the thymus and its component parts and number of Hassel corpuscles in health and in disease Am J Dis Child 1931;51:313-335.
- Young M, Turnbull HM. An analysis of the data collected by the status lymphaticus investigation committee J Pathol 1931;34:213-256.
- Hofmann WJ, Moller P, Otto HF. Thymic hyperplasia. I. True thymic hyperplasia. Review of the literature Klin Wochenschr 1987;65:49-52.[Medline]
- Blasirnann B, Kuffer F, Bettex M. Chirurgische Betrachtungen uber die Thymushyperplasie Z Kinderchir 1977;71:214-230.
This article has been cited by other articles:
G. Szarf, T. C. M. de Andrade, R. de Oliveira, L. H. Ota, and H. M. Lederman
Massive thymic hyperplasia presenting with respiratory insufficiency in a 2-year-old child
June 1, 2010;
555 - 556.