Ann Thorac Surg 1993;55:1030-1032
© 1993 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Total anomalous pulmonary connection: Then and now
John W. Hammon, Jr, MD*
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina USA
* Address reprint requests to Dr Hammon, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1096.
In their classic article "Total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. Correction with cardiopulmonary bypass in 62 patients," Denton A. Cooley, MD and associates defined the proper course of therapy for most patients with this lesion. This article was published in 1966 in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. The text and illustrations in this signal publication have served as one of the guiding features for surgeons attempting operations on patients with these lesions since that time. This article reviews that publication and points out the marked similarities between the treatment practices at that time and those in use today.
- Cooley DA, Hallman GL, Leachman RD. Total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. Correction with the use of cardiopulmonary bypass in 62 cases J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1966;51:88-102.[Medline]
- Lewis FJ, Varco RL, Taufic M, Niazi SA. Direct vision repair of triatrial heart and total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage Surg Gynecol Obstet 1956;102:713-720.[Medline]
- Cooley DA, Ochsner Jr A. Correction of total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. Technical considerations Surgery 1957;42:1014-1021.[Medline]
- Darling RC, Rothney WB, Craig JM. Total pulmonary venous drainage into the right side of the heart. Report of 17 autopsied cases not associated with other major cardiovascualr anomalies Lab Invest 1957;6:44-64.[Medline]
- Hammon Jr JW, Bender Jr HW, Graham Jr TP, Boucek Jr RJ, Smith CW, Erath Jr HG. Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection in infancy. Ten years' experience including studies of postoperative ventricular function J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1980;80:544-551.[Abstract]
- Turley K, Tucker WY, Ullyot DJ, Ebert PA. Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection in infancy: influence of age and type of lesion Am J Cardiol 1980;45:92-97.[Medline]
- Kawashima Y, Matsuda H, Nakano S, et al. Tree-shaped pulmonary veins in infracardiac total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage Ann Thorac Surg 1977;23:436-441.[Abstract/Free Full Text]