Ann Thorac Surg 1993;55:164-166
© 1993 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Treatment of incessant reciprocating atrioventricular tachycardia by a closed heart surgical technique
Yves A.G. Louagie, MD*,
Luc De Roy, MD,
Jean-Claude Schoevaerdts, MD
Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery and Division of Cardiology, Academic Hospital of Mont-Godinne (Catholic University of Louvain), Yvoir, Belgium
Accepted for publication April 10, 1992.
* Address reprint requests to Dr Louagie, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital of Mont Godinne, 1 av Therasse, B-5530 Yvoir, Belgium.
The case of a 40-year-old woman having disabling symptoms of incessant atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia is reported. She underwent surgical therapy by a closed heart technique. Operative technique and the advantages of the epicardial approach in the present case are detailed.
- Coumel P, Cabrol C, Fabiato A, Gourgon R, Siama R. Tachycardie permanente par rythme réciproque Arch Mal Coeur 1967;60:1830-1864.
- Jackman WM, Wang X, Friday KJ, et al. Catheter ablation of accessory atrioventricular pathways (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome) by radiofrequency current N Engl J Med 1991;324:1605-1610.[Medline]
- Guarnieri T, Sealy WC, Kasell JH, German LD, Gallagher JJ. The nonpharmacologic management of the permanent form of junctional reciprocating tachycardia Circulation 1984;69:269-277.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- O'Neill BJ, Klein GJ, Guiraudon GM, et al. Results of operative therapy in the permanent form of junctional reciprocating tachycardia Am J Cardiol 1989;63:1074-1079.[Medline]
- Cruz FES, Cheriex EC, Smeets JLRM, et al. Reversibility of tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy after cure of incessant supraventricular tachycardia J Am Coll Cardiol 1990;16:739-744.[Medline]
- Guiraudon GM, Klein GJ, Sharma AD, Jones DL, McLellan DG. Surgical ablation of posterior septal accessory pathways in the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome by a closed heart technique J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986;92:406-413.[Abstract]
- Pagé PL, Pelletier C, Kaltenbrunner W, Vitali E, Roy D, Nadeau R. Surgical treatment of the Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Endocardial versus epicardial approach J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1990;100:83-87.[Abstract]
- Johnson DC, Nunn GR, Richards DA, Uther JB, Ross DL. Surgical therapy for supraventricular tachycardia, a potentially curable disorder J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1987;93:913-918.[Abstract]