Ann Thorac Surg 1992;54:797-799
© 1992 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
New surgical technique for type B aortic interruption
Naresh Kumar, FRCS,
Ganga Prabhakar, FRCS*,
Fadel Al-Fadley, FRCP(C),
Zohair Al-Halees, FRCS(C),
Carlos M.G. Duran, MD, PhD
King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Accepted for publication June 30, 1992.
* Address reprint requests to Dr Prabhakar, MBC 16, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, PO Box 3354, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia.
Restoring continuity of the aortic arch in aortic interruption continues to be a problem in terms of both surgical technique and long-term results. We report here a surgical technique using the left subclavian artery along with an aberrant right subclavian artery to form a conduit in a patient with type B interruption, to reestablish aortic continuity.
- Van Praagh R, Bernhard WF, Rosenthal A, Parisi LF, Fyler DC. Interrupted aortic arch: surgical treatment Am J Cardiol 1971;27:200-211.[Medline]
- Celoria GC, Patton RB. Congenital absence of the aortic arch Am Heart J 1959;58:407-413.[Medline]
- Moller JH, Edwards JE. Interruption of aortic arch. Anatomic patterns and associated cardiac malformations AJR 1965;95:557-572.
- Becu LM, Tauxe WN, DuShane JW, Edwards JE. A complex of congenital anomalies: ventricular septal defects, biventricular origin of pulmonary trunk, and subaortic stenosis Am Heart J 1955;50:901-911.[Medline]
- Merrill DL, Webster CA, Samson PC. Congenital absence of the aortic isthmus. Report of a case with successful surgical repair J Thorac Surg 1957;33:311-320.[Medline]
- Murphy DA, Lemire GG, Tessler I, Dunn GL. Correction of type B aortic arch interruption with ventricular and atrial septal defects in a three-day-old infant J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1973;65:882-886.[Medline]
- Sell JE, Jonas RA, Mayer JE, Blackstone EH, Kirklin JW, Castaneda AR. The results of a surgical program for interrupted aortic arch J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1988;96:864-877.[Abstract]
- Hammon Jr JW, Merrill WH, Prager RL, Graham Jr TP, Bender Jr HW. Repair of interrupted aortic arch and associated malformations in infancy: indications for complete or partial repair Ann Thorac Surg 1986;42:17-21.[Free Full Text]
- Griffin S, Richens D, Behl R. Early results of direct repair of aortic interruption by the lateral approach Ann Thorac Surg 1992;53:430-434.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Irwin ED, Braunlin EA, Foker JE. Staged repair of interrupted aortic arch and ventricular septal defect in infancy Ann Thorac Surg 1991;52:632-639.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Sawin RS, Hall DG, Mansfield PB, Rittenhouse EA. Staged repair of interrupted aortic arch with ventricular septal defect compared with primary repair in infancy Am J Surg 1989;157:487-489.[Medline]
- Trusler GA, Izukawa T. Interrupted aortic arch and ventricular septal defect. Direct repair through a median sternotomy incision in a 13 day old infant J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1975;69:126-131.[Abstract]
- Sirak HD, Ressallat M, Hosier DM, DeLorimier AA. A new operation for repairing aortic arch atresia in infancy Circulation 1968;37(Suppl 2):43-50.
- Clarke DR. Homografts for congenital heart diseaseIn: Kron IL, Mavroudis C, editors. Cardiac surgery: state-of-the-art reviews. Philadelphia: Hanley & Belfus; 1989. pp. 363.
- Litwin SB, Van Praagh R, Bernhard WF. A palliative operation for certain infants with aortic arch interruption Ann Thorac Surg 1972;14:369-375.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Quie PG, Novick R, Adams P, Anderson RC, Varco RL. Congenital interruption of the aortic arch J Pediatr 1959;54:87-92.[Medline]
- Monro JL, Bunton RW, Sutherland GR, Keeton BR. Correction of interrupted aortic arch J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1989;98:421-427.[Abstract]
- Kawashima Y, Dyama C, Mori T, Manabe H. Interruption of the aortic arch associated with patent ductus arteriosus and ventricular septal defect J Cardiovasc Surg 1975;16:426-431.[Medline]
- Fishman NH, Bronstein MH, Berman W, et al. Surgical management of severe aortic coarctation and interrupted aortic arch in neonates J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1976;71:35-48.[Abstract]