Ann Thorac Surg 1991;52:552-554
© 1991 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Long-Term function in University of Cape Town prostheses in the tricuspid position
I.F. Galvin, FRCSI*,
N.J. Buckels, FRCS,
N.P. Campbell, MD, MRCP,
J. Cleland, FRCS
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Accepted for publication January 22, 1991.
* Address reprint requests to Dr Galvin, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Clinical Sciences Building, The Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay NSW 2036, Australia.
A 55-year-old woman undergoing triple-valve replacement was found at operation to have a well preserved and functioning University of Cape Town prosthesis that had been inserted 18 years earlier for tricuspid stenosis. Case reporting, valve reappraisal, and factual updating on another case, the world's first documented tricuspid valve replacement for Ebstein's anomaly, are presented. These two remarkable in vivo successes speak well for this historic collar stud valve.
- Barnard CN, Goosen CC, Holmgren LV, Schrire V. Prosthetic replacement of the mitral valve Lancet 1962;2:1087-1089.[Medline]
- Barnard CN, Schrire V, Frater RWM, Goosen CC. Further experiences with the U.C.T. mitral, tricuspid and aortic prostheses Surgery 1965;57:211-219.[Medline]
- Ellis Jr FH, Healy RW, Alexander S. Mitral valve replacement with the modified University of Cape Town (UCT) prosthesis: clinical and hemodynamic results Ann Thorac Surg 1977;23:26-31.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Charles RG, Barnard CN, Beck W. Tricuspid valve replacement for Ebstein's anomaly. A19 year review of the first case Br Heart J 1981;46:578-580.[Free Full Text]
- Barnard MS, Barnard CN. Thrombo-embolic complications following total mitral valve replacement with the U.C.T. lenticular mitral prosthesis S Afr Med J 1966;40:263-264.[Medline]
- Beck W, Fergusson DJ, Barnard CN, Schrire V. Haemodynamic findings following replacement of the mitral valve with the University of Cape Town prosthesis Circulation 1965;32:721-731.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Beck W, Barnard CN, Schrire V. The haemodynamics of the University of Cape Town aortic prosthetic valve Circulation 1966;33:517-527.[Free Full Text]
- Barnard CN, Schrire V. Surgical correction of Ebstein's malformation with prosthetic tricuspid valve Surgery 1963;54:302-308.[Medline]