Ann Thorac Surg 1990;50:995-997
© 1990 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Selective and adjustable pericardial flap to protect internal mammary artery grafts
JoséM. González-Santos, MD*,
Emilia Bastida, MD,
Jose L. Vallejo, MD,
Ramón Fortuny, MD,
Kamel Abukassem, MD,
Oscar A. Ortega, MD,
Ramón Arcas, MD
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital General "Gregorio Marañón," Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Accepted for publication August 2, 1990.
* Address reprint requests to Dr González-Santos, Santa Hortensia 31, 4-D, 28002 Madrid, Spain.
We describe the surgical technique of a localized and adjustable pericardial flap to protect internal mammary artery grafts. This flap allows selective pulmonary retraction, maintains pleural integrity, and saves most of the pericardium for later closure. This technique has proved to be simple and highly effective. We have used it in 80 patients and have not had any related complications.
- Pacifico A, Sears NJ, Burgos D. Harvesting, routing, and anastomosing the left internal mammary artery graft Ann Thorac Surg 1986;42:708-710.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Vander Salm TJ, Chowdhary S, Okike ON, Pezella AT, Pasque MK. Internal mammary artery grafts: the shortest route to the coronary arteries Ann Thorac Surg 1989;47:421-427.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Cosgrove DM, Loop FD. Techniques to maximize mammary artery length Ann Thorac Surg 1985;40:78-79.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Tector AJ, Schmahl TM, Canino VR. Expanding the use of the internal mammary artery to improve patency in coronary artery bypass grafting J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986;91:9-16.[Abstract]
- Gaudiani VA, Buch WS, Chin AK, Ayres LJ, Fogarty TJ. An improved technique for the internal mammary artery coronary bypass graft procedure J Cardiac Surg 1988;3:467-473.[Medline]
- Todd EP, Earl GF, Jaggers R, Sekela M. Pericardial flap to minimize internal mammary artery anastomotic tension Ann Thorac Surg 1987;44:665-666.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Starr DS, Moore JP. Localized pericardial flap to prevent tension on left internal mammary artery grafts Ann Thorac Surg 1989;47:623-624.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Milgalter E, Uretzky G, Zilberman S, Shimon DV, Appelbaum A, Borman JB. Pericardial meshing: a new technique to facilitate primary tension-free pericardial closure Ann Thorac Surg 1985;40:634-635.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Mills NL. Physiologic and technical aspects of internal mammary artery-coronary artery bypass graftsIn: Cohn L, editor. Modern technics in surgery. Cardiac/thoracic surgery. New York: Futura; 1982. pp. 48.1-48.19.
This article has been cited by other articles:
Protection of the right internal mammary artery in the retorsternal position with stented grafts
Ann. Thorac. Surg.,
December 1, 1995;
1826 - 1828.