Ann Thorac Surg 1989;48:301-302
© 1989 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
A technique of airway management in children with obstructed airway due to tumor
MC, USAF Jeffrey J. Pelton, CAPT*,
Irving A. Ratner, MD
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Santa Rosa Children's Hospital, and Department of Surgery, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas USA
Accepted for publication April 10, 1989.
* Address reprint requests to Dr Pelton, Department of General Surgery, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX 78236.
Airway management of patients with tracheobronchial compression due to mediastinal masses poses a difficult problem. A new technique of direct vision endotracheal intubation is described, and other adjunctive measures are reviewed.
- Azizkhan RG, Dudgeon DL, Haller JA, et al. Life-threatening airway obstruction as a complication to the management of mediastinal masses in children J Pediatr Surg 1985;20:816-822.[Medline]
- Amaha K, Ojutsu Y, Nakamura Y. Major airway obstruction by mediastinal tumor Br J Anesthesiol 1973;45:1082-1084.
- Haller JA, Shermeta DW, Donahoo JS, et al. Life-threatening respiratory distress from mediastinal masses in infants Ann Thorac Surg 1975;19:364-371.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Todres ID, Reppert SM, Walker PF, et al. Management of critical airway obstruction in a child with a mediastinal tumor Anesthesiology 1976;45:100-102.[Medline]
- Fletcher SW, Flacke W, Alper MH. The actions of general anesthetic agents on tracheal smooth muscle Anesthesiology 1968;29:517-522.[Medline]
- Neuman GG, Weingarter AE, Abramowitz RM, et al. The anesthetic management of the patient with an anterior mediastinal mass Anesthesiology 1984;60:144-147.[Medline]