Ann Thorac Surg 1988;45:43-47
© 1988 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Indwelling Transbronchial Catheter Drainage of Pulmonary Abscess
Gregory S. Schmitt, M.D.,
Jill M. Ohar, M.D.,
Kirk R. Kanter, M.D.,
Keith S. Naunheim, M.D.*
From the Departments of Surgery and Medicine, St. Louis University Medical Center, St. Louis, MO
Accepted for publication August 24, 1987.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Naunheim, Department of Surgery, St. Louis University Medical Center, 1325 S Grand Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63104
Adequate cavitary drainage is of paramount importance in the treatment of pulmonary abscesses. Occasionally this cannot be achieved despite vigorous chest physical therapy and the utilization of bronchoscopy. Intermittent transbronchial catheterization under fluoroscopic guidance has been suggested as a method to facilitate drainage.
We have modified this technique by placing an indwelling intracavitary catheter, which allows irrigation and drainage over a prolonged period. This report describes this technique and our experience with 3 patients managed in this fashion.
- Delarue NC, Pearson FG, Nelems JM, Cooper JD. Lung abscess: surgical implications Can J Surg 1980;23:297.[Medline]
- Chidi CC, Mendelson HJ. Lung abscess: a study of the results of treatment based on 90 consecutive cases J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1974;68:168.[Medline]
- Estera AS, Platt MR, Mills LJ, Shaw RR. Primary lung abscess J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1980;79:275.[Medline]
- Perlman LV, Lerner E, D'Esopa N. Clinical classification and analysis of 97 cases of lung abscess Am Rev Respir Dis 1969;99:390.[Medline]
- Pappas G, Shroter G, Brettschneider L, et al. Pulmonary surgery in immunosuppressed patients J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1970;59:882.[Medline]
- Monaldi V. Endocavitary aspiration in the treatment of lung abscess Chest 1956;29:193.[Medline]
- Snow N, Lucas A, Horrigan TP. Utility of pneumonotomy in the treatment of cavitary lung disease Chest 1985;87:731.[Medline]
- Lawrence GH, Rubin SL. Management of giant lung abscess Am J Surg 1978;136:134.[Medline]
- Connors JP, Roper CL, Ferguson TB. Transbronchial catherization of pulmonary abscesses Ann Thorac Surg 1975;19:254.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Groff DB, Marquis J. Transtracheal drainage of lung abscesses in children J Pediatr Surg 1977;12:303.[Medline]
- Gopalakrishna KV, Lerner PI. Primary lung abscess: analysis of 66 cases Cleve Clin Q 1975;42:3.[Medline]
This article has been cited by other articles:
J. Todd and E. E. McGrath
Chest X-ray mass in a patient with lung cancer!
October 1, 2011;
903 - 904.