Ann Thorac Surg 1986;42:326-328
© 1986 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Surgical Treatment of Congenital Distal Tracheal Stenosis Involving the Carina
Naoki Minato, M.D.*,
Kenji Itoh, M.D.,
Yasunori Ohkawa, M.D.,
Hitoshi Matsunaga, M.D.,
Nobuhiro Nagata, M.D.,
Osamu Fukatsu, M.D.
Divisions of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesiology, Kanagawa Children's Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Accepted for publication November 14, 1985.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Minato, Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Saga Medical School, Sanbonsugi, Nabeshima, Saga, Japan
Untreated congenital stenosis of the distal trachea frequently results in lethal airway obstruction. A 3-year-old boy with segmental stenosis of the distal trachea and a 2-year-old girl with segmental stenosis involving the carina and the right main bronchus were treated successfully with resection and reanastomosis. Operative techniques, anesthetic management, postoperative care, and tracheal growth after anastomosis are discussed.
- Cantrell JR, Guild HG. Congenital stenosis of the trachea Am J Surg 1964;108:297.[Medline]
- Mansfield PB. Tracheal resection in infancy J Pediatr Surg 1980;15:79.[Medline]
- Harrison MR, Heldt GP, Brasch RC, et al. Resection of distal tracheal stenosis in a baby with agenesis of the lung J Pediatr Surg 1980;15:938.[Medline]
- Weber TR, Eisen H, Scott PH, et al. Resection of congenital tracheal stenosis involving the carina J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1982;84:200.[Medline]
- Nakayama DK, Harrison MR, Lorimier AA, et al. Reconstructive surgery for obstructing lesions of the intrathoracic trachea in infants and small children J Pediatr Surg 1982;17:854.[Medline]
- Fonkalsrud EW, Sumida S. Tracheal replacement with autologous esophagus for tracheal stricture Arch Surg 1971;102:139.[Medline]
- Kimura K. A new technique for repair of congenital tracheal stenosis involving the entire trachea Jpn J Pediatr Surg 1982;14:1267.
- Maeda M, Grillo HC. Effect of tension on tracheal growth after resection and anastomosis in puppies J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1973;65:658.[Medline]
- Kotake Y, Grillo HC. Reduction of tension at the anastomosis following tracheal resection in puppies J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1976;71:603.
- Maeda M, Grillo HC. Tracheal growth following anastomosis in puppies J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1972;64:304.[Medline]