Ann Thorac Surg 1986;41:455-457
© 1986 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Blind Esophagectomy for Extrinsic Carcinoma of Larynx
S.E. Carroll, M.D.*
Department of Surgery, St. Joseph's Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada
Accepted for publication July 16, 1985.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. S. E. Carroll, St. Joseph's Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 4V2
Esophagectomy without thoracotomy has several advantages in those patients requiring laryngectomy and in whom the stomach is used for replacement. A two-team approach is advocated. The posterior mediastinal route is preferred.
- Postlethwait RW. Complications and deaths after operations for esophageal carcinoma J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1983;85:827.[Abstract]
- Silver CE. Surgical management of neoplasms of the larynx, hypopharynx and cervical esophagus Curr Probl Surg 1977;14:1.[Medline]
- Orringer MB, Sloan H. Esophagectomy without thoracotomy J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1978;76:643.[Abstract]
- Spiro RH, Shah JP, Strong EW, et al. Gastric transposition in head and neck surgery Am J Surg 1983;146:483.[Medline]
- Akiyama H. Surgery for carcinoma of the esophagus Curr Probl Surg 1980;17:56.