Ann Thorac Surg 1986;41:443-445
© 1986 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Pedunculated Left Ventricular Rhabdomyoma
E. Paul Howanitz, M.D.,
Douglas W. Teske, M.D.,
Stephen J. Qualman, M.D.,
Sanford Finck, M.D.,
James W. Kilman, M.D.*
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, the Department of Surgery, Ohio State University College of Medicine, and the Division of Pediatric Cardiology and the Department of Pathology, The Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH
Accepted for publication June 18, 1985.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Kilman, 410 W Tenth Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
A patient with an unusual left ventricular outflow tract obstruction caused by a solitary pedunculated left ventricular rhabdomyoma is described. Diagnosis was based on two-dimensional echocardiographic findings alone. The obstructive portion of the tumor was successfully removed from the interventricular septum by an aortic root approach.
- Corno A, Simone G, Catena G, Marcelletti C. Cardiac rhabdomyoma: surgical treatment in the neonate J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1984;87:725.[Abstract]
- Arciniegas E, Hakimi M, Farooki Z, et al. Primary cardiac tumors in children J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1980;79:582.[Abstract]
- Foster E, Spooner E, Farina M, et al. Cardiac rhabdomyoma in the neonate: surgical management Ann Thorac Surg 1984;37:249.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Bini R, Westaby S, Bargeron LM. Investigation and management of primary cardiac tumors in infants and children J Am Coll Cardiol 1983;2:351.[Medline]
- Fischer D, Beerman L, Park S, et al. Diagnosis of intracardiac rhabdomyoma by two-dimensional echocardiography Am J Cardiol 1984;53:979.
- Marx G, Blerman F, Matthews E, Williams R. Two-dimensional echocardiographic diagnosis of intracardiac masses in infancy J Am Coll Cardiol 1984;3:827.[Medline]
- Milner S, Abramowitz JA, Levin SE. Rhabdomyoma of the heart in a newborn infant: diagnosis by echocardiography Br Heart J 1980;44:224.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Duncan WJ, Rowe RD, Freedom RM, et al. Space-occupying lesions of the myocardium: role of two-dimensional echocardiography in detection of cardiac tumors in children Am Heart J 1982;104:780.[Medline]
- Fenoglio JJ, McAllister HA, Ferrans VJ. Cardiac rhabdomyoma: a clinicopathologic and electron microscopic study Am J Cardiol 1976;38:241.[Medline]