Ann Thorac Surg 1986;41:155-157
© 1986 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Pacemaker Backup-Mode Reversion and Injury during Cardiac Surgery
Gervasio A. Lamas, M.D.*,
Elliott M. Antman, M.D.,
Jeffrey P. Gold, M.D.,
Nina S. Braunwald, M.D.,
John J. Collins, M.D.
Divisions of Cardiology and Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Accepted for publication March 29, 1985.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Antman, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115
Both electrocautery and internal defibrillation are routinely used in cardiac operations. The cases of 5 patients are presented in whom backup-mode reversion or injury of permanently implanted pulse generators occurred during a cardiac procedure. The theoretical explanations for backup-mode reversion and generator or tissue injury are discussed, and recommendations are made for the management of patients with a pacemaker who are to undergo a cardiac operation.
- Operator's Manual: Bovie Specialist Electrosurgical Unit. Sybron Arden, NC.
- Belott PH, Sands S, Warren J. Resetting of DDD pacemakers due to EMI PACE 1984;7:169.[Medline]
- Hauser RG, McKeever WP, Sweeney MB, Giuffre VW. Clinical pulse generator malfunction after DC countershockIn: Meere C, editor. Proceedings of the VI World Symposium on Cardiac Pacing. Montreal, Canada: Laplante & Langerin; 1979chap 35–5.
- Shepard RB, Russo AG, Breland VC. Radiofrequency electrocoagulation hemostasis and chronically elevated pacing thresholds in cardioulmonary bypass procedure patientsIn: Meere C, editor. Proceedings of the VI World Symposium on Cardiac Pacing. Montreal, Canada: Laplante & Langerin; 1979chap 35–2.
- Lau FYK, Bilitch M, Wintroub HJ. Protection of implanted pacemakers from excessive electrical energy of D.C. shock Am J Cardiol 1969;23:244.[Medline]
- Levine PA, Barold SS, Fletcher RD, Talbot P. Adverse acute and chronic effects of electrical defibrillation on implanted unipolar cardiac pacing systems J Am Coll Cardiol 1983;1:1413.[Medline]
- Barold SS, Ony LS, Scovil J, et al. Reprogramming of implanted pacemaker following external defibrillation PACE 1978;1:514.[Medline]
This article has been cited by other articles:
M. ozeren, O. V. Dogan, C. Duzgun, and E. Yucel
Use of an ultrasonic scalpel in the open-heart reoperation of a patient with pacemaker
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg,
April 1, 2002;
761 - 762.