Ann Thorac Surg 1981;31:334-338
© 1981 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Acute and Chronic Stimulation Thresholds of Intramyocardial Screw-in Pacemaker Electrodes
David S. Starr, M.D.*,
Gerald M. Lawrie, M.D.,
George C. Morris, Jr., M.D.
Cora and Webb Mading Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Accepted for publication August 15, 1980.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Starr, 1393 Mt. Everett, Hubbard, OH 44425
Two screw-in intramyocardial electrodes were inserted in the left ventricle of each of 6 mongrel dogs, and the electrical characteristics were studied over a six-month period. The unipolar lead configuration had consistently better threshold and sensing values than the bipolar configuration during this period. Peaking between implantation and 3 weeks later, mean lead thresholds increased significantly (unipolar, 0.4 to 8.2 µJ; bipolar, 0.6 to 10.2 µJ) while R wave amplitude decreased (unipolar, 16.6 to 8.5 mv; bipolar, 10.6 to 5.8 mv). Mean chronic values for stimulation thresholds were as follows: unipolar, 2.6 µJ, and bipolar, 3.1 µJ. Mean values for the R wave amplitude were as follows: unipolar, 10.6 mv, and bipolar, 7.2 mv.
Analysis of the results indicated that with certain exceptions, the optimum system has 2 intramyocardial electrodes, 1 in unipolar configuration and 1 "reserve." In general, adequate values at implantation are a stimulation threshold of 1.4 µ) (e.g., 1.1 v at 500 ohms and 0.6 msec pulse width) and an R wave amplitude of 5 mv.
- Brenner AS, Wagner GS, Anderson ST, et al. Transvenous, transmediastinal and transthoracic ventricular pacing: a comparison after complete two-year follow-up Circulation 1974;49:407.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Chardack WM. In: Sabiston DC, Spencer FC, editors. Gibbon's Surgery of the Chest. Third Edition. Philadelphia: Saunders; 1976. pp. 1265.
- Furman S, Escher DJ, Solomon S, Schwedel JB. Implanted transvenous pacemakers: equipment, technic and clinical experience Ann Surg 1966;164:465.[Medline]
- Lagergren H, et al. Three hundred and five cases of permanent intravenous pacemaker treatment for Adams-Stokes syndrome Surgery 1966;59:494.[Medline]
- Mugica J, Almosni M, Goumel P, et al. A propos de 1033 primo-implantations de stimulateurs cardiaques Arch Mal Coeur 1974;67:1039.[Medline]
- Parsonnet V. Power sources for implantable pacemakers Chest 1972;61:165.[Medline]
- Stewart S. Placement of the sutureless epicardial pacemaker lead by the subxiphoid approach Ann Thorac Surg 1974;18:308.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Tyers GFO, Hughes HC, Torman HA, Waldhausen JA. The advantages of transthoracic placement of permanent cardiac pacemaker electrodes J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1975;69:8.[Abstract]
- Hunter SW, Bolduc L, Long V, et al. A new myocardial pacemaker lead (sutureless) Chest 1973;63:430.[Medline]
- Lawrie GM, Morris Jr GC, DeBakey ME. An improved introducer for the sutureless myocardial pacemaker lead Ann Thorac Surg 1977;23:480.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Lawrie GM, Morris Jr GC, Howell JF, DeBakey ME. Left subcostal insertion of the sutureless myocardial electrode Ann Thorac Surg 1976;21:350.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Mansour KA, Fleming WH, Hatcher Jr CR. Initial experience with a sutureless screw-in electrode for cardiac pacing Ann Thorac Surg 1973;16:127.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Naclerio E, Varriale P. "Screw-in electrode": new method for permanent ventricular pacing NY State J Med 1974;74:2391.[Medline]
- Stewart S, Cohen J, Murphy G. Sutureless epicardial pacemaker lead: a satisfactory preliminary experience Chest 1975;67:564.[Medline]
- Furman S, Garvey J, Hurzeler P. Pulse duration, variation and electrode size as factors in pacemaker longevity J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1975;69:382.[Abstract]
- Dekker E, Buller J, Van Erven F. Unipolar and bipolar stimulation thresholds of the human myocardium with chronically implanted pacemaker electrodes Am Heart J 1966;71:671.[Medline]
- Albert H, Glass B, Pittman B, Robichaux P. Cardiac stimulation threshold: chronic study Ann NY Acad Sci 1964;111:889.[Medline]
- Center S, Tarjan P. The clinical application of low output pacemakers J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1972;64:935.[Medline]
- Furman S, Parker B, Escher D. Acute and chronic endocardial threshold for cardiac stimulation Surg Forum 1968;19:107.[Medline]
- Preston T, Judge R, Lucchesi B, Bowers D. Myocardial threshold in patients with artificial pacemakers Am J Cardiol 1966;18:83.[Medline]
- Wahlberg I, Edhog O, Lagergren H. Low threshold endocardial electrodes for permanent cardiac pacing Acta Med Scand 1977;201:337.[Medline]
- Lawrie GM, Seale JP, Morris Jr GC, et al. Results of epicardial pacing by the left subcostal approach Ann Thorac Surg 1979;28:561.[Abstract/Free Full Text]