Ann Thorac Surg 1979;27:254-259
© 1979 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Sternum
Youichi Ishinada, M.D.*,
Hirop Yabe, M.D.,
Eiji Ogoshi, M.D.,
Kuni Nishikawa, M.D.,
Hisami Iri, M.D.
Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cardiovascular Surgery, and Clinical Pathology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Accepted for publication May 31, 1978.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Ishinada, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35-Shinanomachi, Shinjuku-ku, 160 Tokyo, Japan
A very rare case of aneurysmal bone cyst of the sternum is described. Aneurysmal bone cyst is a tumorlike bone lesion occumng commonly in the metaphysis of long bones and in the vertebrae. This report is one of the very few cases in the literature of aneurysmal bone cyst of the sternum. Total resection of the tumor and reconstruction of the sternal defect using autogenous fibula are presented
- Alonso-Lej F, de Linera FA. Resection of the entire sternum and replacement with acrylic resin J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1971;62:271.[Medline]
- Baue AE. Total resection of the sternum J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1963;45:559.[Medline]
- Bisgard JD, Swenson Jr SA. Tumors of the sternum: report of a case with special operative technic Arch Surg 1948;56:570.[Medline]
- Brodin H, Linden K. Resection of the whole of the sternum and the cartilaginous parts of costae 1–4: a case report Acta Chir Scand 1959;118:13.[Medline]
- Dabska M, Buraczewski J. Aneurysmal bone cyst: pathology, clinical course and radiologic appearances Cancer 1969;23:371.[Medline]
- Dahlin DC, Besse Jr BE, Pugh DG, et al. Aneurysmal bone cysts Radiology 1955;64:56.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Ishikawa S, Itaya H, Shiratsu F, et al. The surgical treatment for primary tumors of the sternum Jpn J Thorac Surg 1974;27:543.
- Kinsella TJ, White SM, Koucky RW. Two unusual tumors of the sternum J Thorac Surg 1947;16:640.[Medline]
- Koskinen EVS, Visuri TI, Holström T, et al. Aneurysmal bone cyst—evaluation of resection and of curettage in 20 cases Clin Orthop 1976;118:136.[Medline]
- Martini N, Huvos AG, Smith J, et al. Primary malignant tumors of the sternum Surg Gynecol Obstet 1974;138:391.[Medline]
- National Cancer Center. Bone Tumor Registration in Japan. Tokyo: National Cancer Center; 19741975.
- Nobler MP, Higinbotham NL, Phillips RF. The cure of aneurysmal bone cyst—irradiation superior to surgery in an analysis of 33 cases Radiology 1968;90:1185.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Ochsner Jr A, Lucas GL, McFarlan Jr GB. Tumors of the thoracic skeleton: review of 134 cases J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1966;52:311.[Medline]
- O'Neal LW, Ackerman LV. Cartilaginous tumors of ribs and sternum J Thorac Surg 1951;21:71.[Medline]
- Pascuzzi CA, Dahlin DC, Clagett OT. Primary tumors of the ribs and sternum Surg Gynecol Obstet 1957;104:390.[Medline]
- Pradhan DJ, Musikabhumma S, Michelson E, et al. Total sternal resection and reconstruction using bone grafts and fascia lata Am Surg 1973;39:180.[Medline]
- Sayama M, Okamoto J, Watabe T, et al. Eosinophilic granuloma of the sternum: a case report Orthop Surg (in Japanese) 1961;12:673.
- Takemitsu Y, Fukuma H, Kai T, et al. Resection and reconstruction operation of the sternum: a case report of giant cell tumor J West Jpn Orthop Trauma 1971;20:23.
- Teitelbaum SL. Twenty years' experience with intrinsic tumors of the bony thorax at a large institution J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1972;63:776.[Medline]