Ann Thorac Surg 1979;27:76-79
© 1979 The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Total Lung Ectoplasia with Systemic Arterial Supply
Akira Masaoka, M.D.*,
Masazumi Maeda, M.D.,
Yasumasa Monden, M.D.,
Kazuya Nakahara, M.D.,
Yasuhiko Tani, M.D.
First Department of Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Accepted for publication May 30, 1978.
* Address reprint requests to Dr. Masaoka, First Department of Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Fukushima, Fukushimaku, Osaka, Japan.
A 6-month-old girl was noted to have fever and stridor. Investigations revealed an abnormal lung that communicated with the esophagus and had a systemic arterial supply from the abdominal aorta. Resection of the abnormal lung was performed successfully. We have termed this disorder total lung ectoplasia. Ten patients from the literature were reviewed.
- Bates M. Total unilateral pulmonary sequestration Thorax 1968;23:311.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Dortenmann J, Krause F, Muller G. Lungen-agenesie und ösophageale Nebenlunge Thoraxchirurgie 1972;20:150.
- Gans SL, Potts WG. Anomalous lobe of lung arising from esophagus J Thorac Surg 1951;21:313.[Medline]
- Gerle RD, Jaretzki A, Ashley CA, et al. Congenital bronchopulmonary-foregut malformation New Engl J Med 1968;278:1413.[Medline]
- Gruenfeld GE, Gray SH. Malformations of the lung Arch Pathol 1941;31:392.
- Hanna EA. Broncho-esophageal fistula with total sequestration of the right lung Ann Surg 1964;159:599.[Medline]
- Heithoff KB, Sane SM, Williams HJ, et al. Bronchopulmonary foregut malformations; a unifying etiological concept Am J Roentgenol 1976;126:46.[Medline]
- Keeley JL, Schairer AE. The anomalous origin of the right main bronchus from the esophagus Ann Surg 1960;152:871.[Medline]
- Nikaidoh H, Swenson O. The ectopic origin of the right main bronchus from the esophagus: a case of pneumonectomy in a neonate J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1971;62:151.[Medline]
- Nitta Y, Ogawa Y, Okahata S, et al. Ectopic origin of right main bronchus Jpn J Pediatr (Japanese) 1973;26:1476.
- Reilly BJ, McDonald P, Cumming WA, et al. Three cases of congenital bronchopulmonary-foregut malformation Ann Radiol 1973;16:281.
- Schechter DC. Congenital absence or deficiency of lung tissue: the congenital subtractive bronchopneumonic malformations Ann Thorac Surg 1968;6:286.[Free Full Text]
- Smith RA. Theory of origin of intralobar sequestration Thorax 1956;11:10.[Free Full Text]
- Szarnicki R, Maurseth K, de Leval M, et al. Tracheal compression by the aortic arch following right pneumonectomy in infancy Ann Thorac Surg 1978;25:231.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
- Thompson Jr NB, Aquino T. Anomalous origin of the right main-stem bronchus Surgery 1962;51:668.[Medline]
- Warner FS, McGraw CT, Peterson Jr HG, et al. Lung ectopia and agenesis with heart dextrorotation Am J Dis Child 1961;101:514.[Medline]